Sacked Amazon employees in India break down, ‘crying in office’

Sacked Amazon employees in India break down, ‘crying in office’

As Amazon announced it would lay off 18,000 employees worldwide, including nearly 1,000 in India, reports have emerged that some of the affected employees broke down and were left “crying in the office” when they heard they were being asked to go .

On Grapevine, a community app for Indian professionals, an Amazon India employee posted sad scenes in the office, including people crying after the layoffs were announced.

“About 75 percent of my team is gone. Even though I’m in the remaining 25 percent, I don’t feel motivated to work anymore. They’re laying off people in cubicles. People are crying in the office,” the employee posted. .

IANS could not independently verify the Grapevine user who was affected by the Amazon layoffs.

Corporate Chat India also posted the user’s screenshot, saying “Atmosphere at Amazon India as layoffs happen.”

The layoffs affected both new and experienced employees at Amazon India offices in Bengaluru, Gurugram and other locations.

The company has mostly closed businesses that are in the early stages of development.

Last week, the Office of the Labor Commission in Pune sent a summons to Amazon regarding the mass layoffs and voluntary separation policy.

The letter to the IT workers’ union sought a joint discussion on January 17 on the company’s alleged layoffs in India.

“The lives of 1,000 workers and their families have now become vulnerable. According to the procedures laid down in the Industrial Disputes Act, an employer cannot, without prior permission from the appropriate government, dismiss an employee who appears on the muster list of the establishment .” Harpreet Singh Saluja, President of the newly formed Information Technology Employees Senate (NITES) employee union, said in a statement.

In November last year, Amazon issued a voluntary severance policy offer to its employees.

In the same month, the Union Ministry of Labor summoned Amazon India to appear before the Deputy Chief Labor Commissioner in Bengaluru in connection with the alleged redundancies forced by the company.

“Therefore, you (Amazon) are requested to attend this office with all relevant information regarding this matter, in person or through an authorized representative on the date and time mentioned above without fail,” the Ministry’s announcement said. .

The development follows a complaint filed by the NITES employee union, in which it has alleged that Amazon has violated labor laws.

In a letter to Union Labor Minister Bhupender Yadav, NITES alleged that Amazon employees were forcibly removed from the company.

Earlier this month, Amazon confirmed that it is laying off about 18,000 employees, and several teams will be affected, most notably Amazon Stores along with the People, Experience and Technology (PXT) organizations.

Amazon CEO Andy Jassy said in a statement that they were not done with the annual planning process as mentioned earlier, and “I expected that there would be more role reductions in early 2023.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *