Damar Hamlin discharged after spending more than a week hospitalized due to a cardiac arrest

Damar Hamlin discharged after spending more than a week hospitalized due to a cardiac arrest


Damar Hamlin has been released after being hospitalized for more than a week following a cardiac arrest he suffered during a Monday Night Football game earlier this month, the Buffalo Bills said Wednesday.

The 24-year-old Bills safety had shown signs of accelerated improvement in the days leading up to his release from Buffalo General Medical Center in New York.

“Damar Hamlin has been released from Buffalo General Medical Center/Gates Vascular Institute, a Kaleida Health facility in Buffalo, NY. Hamlin was admitted Monday and underwent a comprehensive medical evaluation as well as a series of cardiac, neurological and vascular tests on Tuesday. read the tweet.

Hamilin was initially hospitalized in Cincinnati after his heart suddenly stopped following a tackle during a game against the Cincinnati Bengals on Jan. 2, but was transferred to the Buffalo facility on Monday after doctors determined his critical condition had improved enough for movement.

Before his release from the Buffalo hospital, doctors there were tasked with identifying why Hamlin went into cardiac arrest. On Tuesday, Hamlin underwent a series of tests and evaluations, according to Kaleida Health, the hospital group that includes Buffalo Medical Center.

Doctors examined Hamlin for any pre-existing conditions that may have played a role in his cardiac arrest, which shocked many across the country and prompted an outpouring of support for the second-year NFL player.

Before his release, Hamlin tweeted Tuesday: “Special thanks to Buffalo General has been nothing but love since arrival! Keep me in all your prayers, please!”

While in critical condition in Cincinnati, Hamlin was sedated and on a ventilator for days. The breathing tube was removed Friday morning, and Hamlin began walking with little assistance by that afternoon, his doctors said Monday.

The health care team focused on stabilizing Hamlin and his condition improved Monday because his organ systems were stable and he no longer needed intensive care or respiratory therapy, doctors said.

“He is certainly on what we consider to be a very normal trajectory even accelerated by the life-threatening event that he underwent,” said earlier this week Dr. Timothy Pritts, chief of surgery at UC Medical Center. “He’s making great progress.”

Normal recovery from a cardiac arrest can be measured in weeks to months, Pritts said Monday. Hamlin beat that timeline at every stage and is neurologically intact.

When Hamlin collapsed seconds after an open-field hit against a Bengals wide receiver, medical personnel rushed to the field and quickly administered CPR — which helped save his life.

Hamlin’s heart had stopped and paramedics revived him twice before putting him in an ambulance and taking him to the hospital. The immediate actions of medical personnel were vital to “not only saving his life, but his neurological function,” Pritts said.

The horrific scene of Hamlin suddenly falling flat on his back after standing up after the tackle upset his teammates, other players and millions of fans watching.

The game was initially postponed and later canceled by the NFL — a decision some former football players said was a sign of a change in prioritization of players’ mental and physical health.

Now, Bills organization is encouraging people to learn the critical, life-saving skills of administering CPR.

According to the statement, the team has pledged support for resources, including CPR certifications, automated external defibrillator units and guidance on developing cardiac emergency response plans within the Buffalo community. “We encourage all of our fans to continue to show your support and take the next step by becoming CPR certified,” the Bills said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *