Dukes Set Program Shutout Record in Sun Belt Quarterfinal Win Over Texas State
FOLEY, Ala. – James Madison’s protection stifled a Texas State offense, producing 12 of its personalth season shutout to set the single-season program file for shutouts in a 1-0 win Wednesday night time on the Foley Sports Tourism Complex in the Sun Belt Conference Women’s Soccer quarterfinals.
The Dukes transfer to 11-3-5 and advance to a convention semifinal recreation for the fourth time in the final 5 seasons. The Bobcats fall to 12-5-2.
The second pupil Amanda Attanasi scored the decisive aim for the Dukes, recording a career-high seven pictures. Redshirt junior Alexandra Blom made two saves in aim for her eighth shutout of the season, setting the junior varsity file for particular person shutouts in a season.
How It Happened
- The JMU offense dominated the primary half, outscoring Texas State 11-3.
- In the 30sth minute, junior redshirt Suvaibatu Muhammad had an opportunity to present the Dukes the lead, however Texas State goalkeeper Katelyn Chrisman made a diving save to maintain the sport scoreless.
- The Bucks utilized stress late in the half, getting three pictures from Attanas and freshmen Jamie Swartz and Y-Von Nguyen all inside the last minute.
- The begin of the second half was an Attanasi and Mohammed show, with each taking the primary three pictures of the half.
- Attanas discovered the online in the 57thth minute, scoring her eighth aim of the season to present Duke a 1-0 lead. It’s essentially the most objectives by a Duke since then Ginger Deel’s eight objectives in the 2019 season and Mohammed was credited with the primary help of her profession.
- Texas State’s solely scoring likelihood in the ultimate 45 minutes of the half got here in the 78th.th tying minute, however Blom confirmed why he was named the Sun Belt Conference Goalkeeper of the Year and made the save.
- Every shot JMU made in the second half got here from Attanasi or Mohammed.
- JMU’s 16 pictures tied a season excessive, matching the sack complete the Dukes had in opposition to Georgia State.
Quoting the pinnacle coach Joshua Walters, Sr.
“I really enjoyed watching the girls play tonight. It felt dynamic and dangerous. We’ll enjoy the win for a little while, but soon enough we’ll move on to preparing for Georgia State.”
The subsequent one
The Dukes advance to the semifinals and a matchup with Georgia State on the Foley Sports Tourism Complex on Friday, Nov. 4. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 PM CT/8:00 PM ET and can air on ESPN+.