A wild win propels Commanders to best record in 5 years, playoffs become real
In Ron Rivera’s first two seasons in cost of Washington, his groups completed the season with seven wins.
In Ron Rivera’s third season in Washington, his staff has seven wins earlier than December with 5 left to play.
The final win, an exhilarating 19-13 highway journey, wasn’t fairly in the rain and dust at FedEx Field on Sunday, but it surely now strikes the Commanders to 7-5. It’s their first time two video games over .500 in the Rivera period. Washington hasn’t been two video games over .500 since 2018!
There is a dialogue about Taylor Heinicke at quarterback, however not at the moment as he continues to lead this staff to wins. Washington has received three straight and 6 of its final seven, and with Heinicke because the starter this 12 months, the Commanders are 5-1.
Washington Football Podcast | Listen and comply with | Watch on YouTube
Washington is totally in the playoff dialog, and with a home-and-home recreation towards the NFC East-rival New York Giants, Rivera’s staff controls the route of the season.
- Brian Robinson – The rookie operating again has seemed good for a lot of the final month, however scored his most spectacular landing of the season in the primary quarter. As he ran down the suitable facet with two defenders between Robinson and the tip zone, he had a few selections: exit of bounds, minimize inside or go straight to the Falcons defenders. Robinson opted for violence and collided with each hapless Atlanta gamers to rating the primary objective of the day.
- John Bates – The sophomore tight finish made a powerful run in the third quarter, the place Heinicke hit it on the play for his second profession TD. Even with the rating, what stands out most about Bates is his blocking. He is hard on the line of scrimmage and athletic sufficient to get in house and down the sector.
- Daron Payne – A deal with for loss and almost a sack in one of many recreation’s greatest performs, Payne’s huge 12 months continues. And a tip move on the sport profitable INT. He continues to put together to money in on a brand new contract after the season.
- Kendall Fuller – The game-winning interception. A nice play by Fuller ended the Falcons’ comeback hopes.
- Tress Way – The Commanders’ star participant closed out the win, kicking a fierce penalty on the finish. Earlier, he had pinned Atlanta contained in the 5-yard line.
- Time Management – Ron Rivera made a complicated determination simply earlier than halftime to not name a timeout and get extra time for his offense. It ended up not mattering as a result of Taylor Heinicke threw an interception because the second quarter wound down. However, it was unusual. And remember, Rivera additionally known as a timeout with about eight minutes left in the third quarter.